Tuesday, April 26, 2011

An update from Takeshi in Japan

I visited the U.S. during the week of St. Patrick's Day and came back to Japan on March 24th, which means I've been back almost a month since the terrible disaster. As of today the paper reports that 14,133 were killed and another 13,346 are still missing, and the number of evacuees exceeds 130,000. In addition, it seems radiation from the damaged nuclear power plants is not under control yet, and they made a no-entry zone within 20 kilometers of the plant. The conditions are so tragic that I sometimes have a feeling that they are not real.

However, my place is far enough from those power plants and I'm doing all right. Life here is a little different from what it was before the earthquake and we still have aftershocks, but we don't have blackouts these days. The supply of most things is still limited but now I can buy batteries and bottles of water, which were very hard to find or get at stores a month ago. The damage was so extensive that I'm sure rehabilitating the nation's economy will take a long time and much effort.

I'm planning to visit the U.S. again in May. It's for Th' Gatherin', a very unique Scottish festival in WaKeeney, Kansas. If you go to their website (http://www.thgatherin.com/) and check the schedule, you'll find a detailed one with a note saying, "If you've ever been to Th' Gatherin' you know that there is really NO OFFICIAL schedule for this Grand Event." It sounds as though the festival is not organized, and this is true in a sense, but I always get a good feeling from it, something very spiritual. It has a unique atmosphere!

Though I lived in the U.S. from 2001 to 2006, I didn't know about this festival when I was here then, and my first one was in 2007. I've never missed it since then, making this year my fifth anniversary. And this year, Switchback will come with their original Song for Th' Gatherin', which people there have been longing to hear. Fortunately, I had the chance to play and practice the tune several times in March.

After Th' Gatherin', I'm going to Colorado with Marty and Brian, where they will have some shows. I'm looking forward to coming back to the US and seeing Marty and Brian and other friends. I can't wait...

Kanpai!
Takeshi

http://www.waygoodmusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment